Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Social Services are involved with my daughter and her partner,

Social Services are involved with my daughter and her partner, due to drug misuse Cannabis on the daughter, and restraining order on partner.
I am the maternal grandmother and I am looking into legal guardianship of the new baby how do I go about doing this and if awarded would social services remain involved
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. At what stage is their involvement? Is there a child protection plan in place or have they escalated the matter to court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a child protection Plan in place under neglect social services have been involved since March*****proceedings yet, they have said they were going to court for interim care order. I wish to stand for legal guardianship prior to this happening myself and my partner have both agreed to do this if we go ahead would social services remain involved and how long for
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the further information - have you been involved in the child protection process? Has there been a family group conference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we are involved in the Plan, and yes we have had conferences
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - the Local Authority will need to undertake viability assessments on both of you and they could consider a voluntary agreement by your daughter for the child to be placed in your care until a final decision regarding placement is made - such agreements are only temporary measures. However, you should be aware that most local authority's would likely wish to issue care proceedings for there to be a court order in place to protect the child. As part of the care proceedings a decision will need to be made - either by agreement between parties, or by the court regarding where the child should be placed until a final court order. During the proceedings assessments will need to be undertaken which can include a special guardianship assessment on you and your partner to see if long-term care is viable.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you