13262538

Does a Canadian Court Order support payments have

Does a Canadian Court Order for child support payments have any legal standing in the UK?
If I refuse to pay any further payments for several reasons (I have been unfairly treated by the Canadian Courts, my child is now 19, my child has refused to make any contact with me for 6 years, etc) - will I end up in legal trouble in the UK?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youI am afraid that the Order is (eventually) enforceable in the UK.There are Reciprocal Agreements in place which allow this to happen.It is neither quick nor simple but eventually you can be summoned to attend the Family Court in the Uk for enforcement of the arrears.The Uk court cannot change the original Order - but they can assess how much you can afford to pay each month - it is just that you will have to pay untill all the arrears are covered however long that takes.Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, in a bit more detail can you please tell me what the (not quick or simple) process is regarding making that enforceable in the UK under these reciprocal agreements. Much appreciated.
Cameron.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Your ex will have to apply to the Court in Canada for the matter to be Registered form Enforcement.Their Central Authority will then Contact the Official Solicitor in the Uk and the Official Solicitor will thenissue enforcement action against you in your local family court.You can read more herehttps://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/family/parts/part_34
Customer: replied 1 year ago.