Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I want to do a prenup - I have already got married in SA and

I want to do a prenup - I have already got married in SA and when he comes here once visa is sorted I want to do a post/pre nuptial for obvious reasons and cos I have children
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. As you have already married you will need to enter into a post-nuptial agreement to settle your assets and affairs in the event of a divorce. Once your agreement is made, you will need to turn this into a formal contract and both of you need to seek independent legal advice regarding this. You should be aware that in the event of a divorce, in England and Wales, the court will consider the post-nuptial agreement, but the court will have the power to ignore the agreement in the event that your needs, his needs or the children's needs are not met if you divorce.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you