ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

Both our daughters are over 30 and We have a 5 year old grandson.

Both our daughters are over 30 and We have a 5 year old grandson. I love my husband but wish to leave my half of the estate to our daughters. The house is of joint ownership and I would expect my husband to be able to live here. However, should my husband decide to remarry I would not be happy if my half of the estate went to his new wife and possibly her children should my husband die. I therefore wish to safeguard our girls and grandson. How can I best do this please?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask:- - is your main asset your house?- do you know if you are tenants in common or joint tenants?- do you currently have a will? If so, was this will made before or after you married? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
- Main assett is our home
- No tenants
- We made a will after we were married when the girls were small should we both die eg. Guardians and assets for education, that was the last will we did. Thank you.
Hello Thank you for your response. You need ot check the position in respect of the house as to whether you are joint tenants or tenants in common. This is quite important. If the land is registered - let me know and I will be able to tell you how to download the land registry documents so that you can check. Basically if you are joint tenants - then the house will automatically pass to either you or your husband, from whoever passes first. It will not be counted as part of your estate. If you are joint tenants then you should consider severing the joint tenancy to become tenants in common. You should then make a new will as to who you would like your share to pass. You should include provisions for your husband and also what you want to happen to the rest of your share. Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Caroline for your help. My husband and I are like a big soup so I would imagine we would be joint tenants. The mortgage is in both our names and we have always shared things together. How do you severe the joint tenancy? The information has been very helpful and has given me a lot to think about. Many thanks Jane.
Hello Jane Whilst it may be likely that you are joint tenants but you do need to find out. If the land is registered follow this link to get a copy of the register: https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register Let me know when you have this and I will tell you what to look at. Severing a joint tenancy is quite simple - have a look at this link: https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common Just let me know if I can help you further. Kindest Regards Caroline