13262538

My daughter is at university and turns 19 on the 1st may 2016,

my daughter is at university and turns 19 on the 1st may 2016, I have paid her mother £300 per month via direct debit since my daughter was 2, when can I legally stop paying her mother and pay my daughter directly? Thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
england
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Under child maintenance rules, the main carer should receive child maintenance until the child starts university. Therefore when she starts her course it can be paid directly to her.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.The only basis on which you should still be paying Child Maintenance to your ex at this stage would be under the terms of a Court Order.If there is no Court order - and you are not in Scotland - then you can stop payments at any time and negotiate a figure directly with your daughter.Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years