Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

What rights do grandparents have after divorce? My parents

What rights do grandparents have after divorce? My parents have not seen my 2 children for 6 years. There is no reason for my ex-wife to deny them access and they had a good relationship with their grandchildren before she filed for divorce. One child has just turned 18 but the other is just 12. The children do live in Switzerland and my parents in the UK. Are there any steps they can take to enforce visitation rights to the children?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, grandparents do not have any rights in respect of their grandchildren. The children have a right to a relationship with their families and if contact is being prevented then the grandparents need to apply to court - initially for permission to proceed with an application for a child arrangement order, on the basis that they were enjoying contact with the children previously and if permission is granted an application for a child arrangement order to see the children can commence at court. Obviously court should be a last resort, and therefore I would suggest that you consider making a referral to an independent mediator - you can find local ones here: http://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk/ and they can assist in reaching an agreement with the mother. If she does not attend mediation or if mediation is unsuccessful then an application to court should proceed.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiFor clarificationIf the children live in Switzerland then it is Swiss family law which will apply.In any event there is no reason why they should not see the children when the children are with youClare