Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband and I have been separated 20 years but

Customer Question

My husband and I have been separated for about 20 years but have never had a divorce or financial settlement. I am 74 and he is 73. He was diagnosed with Alzheimers 2 years ago and since then has got himself a lady friend who seems to be spending all his money and encouraging him to sell his assets. I always assumed that I was entitled to half of his assets but as we have not had a financial settlement, is he entitled to sell them without my permission?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. You should urgently consider pursuing a divorce and financial proceedings regarding this. You are not automatically entitled to 50% of the matrimonial assets - this is the starting point for the court and based on various criteria, the court can depart from this. If they are in his sole name he can sell the assets, but you should consider pursuing urgent proceedings to prevent a sale of the assets as you are entitled to claim this as part of a divorce.Please let me know if you have any questions about this or the process. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. Thank you