Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter has just turned 17 and has inexplicably

Hello, my daughter has just turned 17 and has inexplicably refused to communicate with me for 8 months now. As I understand it she has also changed her surname to her Mother’s maiden name. All very shocking as she was such a lovely girl and this behaviour really is out of character. Her mother is doing little if anything to encourage her to contact me. It does all seem rather convenient.
Divorced for 7 years I have contributed a set monthly fee for maintenance purposes and have also been sure to provide for my daughter anything that she needs for her school activities etc.
Whilst she has resided with her mother since separation and divorce, it has tended to follow the agreed pattern of alternate weekends and holidays spent with my daughter.
Despite the lack of any contact since July 2015 and the change of surname (that I wasn’t consulted over either) I am being asked to continue to pay school fees. Can I ask whether I am legally obliged to pay school fees when she has elected to remove me from her life?
Thanks,
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Unless there is a court order stating you are to fund school fees then no, you will not be liable for this. The only financial payments you would be liable for is child maintnenace which is based on your gross income so long as your daughter is studying A-Levels or is on a government approved training course and her main carer will need to submit a formal application to the CMS.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you