13262538

I am starting divorce proceedings. Everything is amicable,

I am starting divorce proceedings. Everything is amicable, we share custody for our son and are committed to co-parenting. We have a family agreement/arrangement for financial support. However, my earnings potential is higher than my ex and he is older than me - should/do I need to protect myself against any future financial claims from him? Is it even feasible that he could claim anything from me in the future?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my bets to help you but I need some further information first.have you reached any agreement on the matrimonial capital?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Yes, essentially there is/was no capital .... we were renting a property at the time of separation (2.5 yrs ago) and had no joint savings. So there was nothing to 'split' or agree on other than furniture and the care of our child. Is this what you mean by matrimonial capital, or is there something else I should consider?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No that is what I needed.You can protect yourself for the future by having a Clean Break Consent order sealed by the Court dismissing all claims you and your ex might have against each otherThis is generally dealt with between Decrees Nisi and Absolute.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare, that's really helpful to understand that this comes later in the process.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes as well as it can