Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter has in the last few months come to live with myself,

Customer Question

My daughter has in the last few months come to live with myself, the natural father. My daughter is 18 in June, and has just started an apprenticeship, which pays £3.30 per/hr. It is a 12 month position. I do not claim child benefit, but would like to know if i can make a claim for child maintenance from my daughters mother, who contributes nothing towards her daughters upbringing. The mother only allowed my daughter to come to me when she came out of college, because she knew she wouldnt be able to claim child maintenance from myself.
Simon
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if your daughter is on a government approved training course/apprenticeship? You can find out if it is approved here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ccmmanual/ccm18035.htm If she is, then you will be able to apply for child benefit as well as claim child maintenance from the mother. The child maintenance is calculated based on the mother's gross salary and how many nights on average your daughter stays with her, and if the mother has any other children in her care - if you provide me these details I can confirm what the legal amount she has to pay is.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.