How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 848
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I hope you can help and guide me a little. I'm in the

Resolved Question:

Hi, I hope you can help and guide me a little.
I'm in the process of breaking up with my boyfriend of 5 years. 3 years ago we bought a house together (joint tennants). I have put £49.000 towards the deposit where he hasn't contributed anything.
when it now comes to the sale of the house is he entitled to 50% of the proceeds even though i can proof that the money only comes from me?
Thank you in advance,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tanja Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. You paid quite a large deposit - was there no deed of trust to protect this for you? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Caroline,Apologies, the figure is a total figure I put initially down towards the house. It was split between the mortgage payment and payment towards renovations of the house, ie my savings. There is no deed of trust to protect me as I believed this is how it's done (I'm not natively English). I'm sorry I'm a bit flustered, he has taken the mortgage documents with the details but i will get those from the bank tomorrow to give exact amounts of deposit paid.Thanks,
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Dear Tanja Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear that things haven't worked out with your boyfriend. If there was no deed of trust - then I am sorry to say that the legal starting point for joint tenants of the property is that they are both equally entitled to a 50% share of any equity post sale. You can apply to a court to have a declaration made as to your interest in the property - but the court will start from the above presumption - that being that any monies, without a deed of trust were paid for the benefit of the home for both of you. What I would suggest that you do is refer your case to family mediation. Family mediation is much less formal then the courts and agreement might be capable at mediation that your share of the profits post sale be higher than your ex's because your contribution has been higher. There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. If you just google family mediation in your area and then you can give them a call to self refer and get the ball rolling. I hope that this helps you. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you further. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions