Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I separated from my wife a year ago and we have applied for

I separated from my wife a year ago and we have applied for a divorce. We have two children who share their time between the two off us. Both children have passports. Can she legally demand that she has them?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you and the children in England or Wales?-How old are the children and what are the arrangements for them to be with both of you?-Are there any court orders in place regarding the children?-Who is receiving the children's benefits (if any)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England
11 and 13 years old
I have the children on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday night and alternate Saturdays. I also have them for a whole weekend once a month.
She received the child benefits
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. It would be usual for the person who receives the children's benefits and who is their main carer (usually the person who has them for the majority of the time and deals with day to day issues) to hold their legal documents, but she cannot withhold them from you if you require them for reasonable reasons and if you provide her reasonable notice.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you