Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am the girlfriend of partner involved in a very messy and

Customer Question

I am the girlfriend of partner involved in a very messy and nasty court case - The other party set me up to find out how much I earned - Can they do this ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. Technically they have no right to involve you in the court proceedings without a court order or unless you are party to the proceedings. If they have taken information from you by deception or fraud then that is a matter for the police. What I would tell you is you cannot be held personally liable fore another persons debt and liabilities unless you accepted liability in writing - this is known as a statute of frauds 1677. Can I assist any further? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live with him and have a joint account but hid my income as its nothing to do with the divorce hence her setting up a fake linked in account to offer me a job and find out my earnings ...,,,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this fraud - can the police do anything ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you. Yes it is illegal to advertise a job that doesn't exist so I would consider reporting it to the police. I would not worry about your income being part of the divorce - you cannot be held liable for your partners debts. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ