13262538

I am now living in Egypt with my four children. We had

Hi , I am now living in Egypt with my four children. We had a family based arrangement agreed in mediation with my ex partner in London in March 2015 I think. He was to pay £100 a week for four children. He did not .He spaid less. He now has a girlfriend and does not want to pay anymore. Is there a way to enforce child maintenance and get an accurate calculation from Egypt? He is a UK resident. Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are or were married to each other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were islamically married
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Where were you married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
France but lived London
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I am not certain for French law, but would your Islamic marriage in France be fully recognised in France as a marriage? Did you receive a French marriage certificate or something equivalent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the marriage will not be recognised. However we had lived together for ten years and have four children.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were based in London
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately you will not have any legal basis to enforce the family based arrangement. You may have been able to enforce a child maintenance decision made by a court - but this is not the case. Furthermore, if you were to obtain a child maintenance order in Egypt you will have difficulty in enforcing it in the UK as there is no reciprocal agreement between the two countries to enforce such orders. You can have a read a bit more about this here: https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance-if-one-parent-lives-abroad/paying-parent-lives-in-the-ukI asked the questions in relation to the marriage to check if you had basis to pursue a financial relief application claim arising out of the marriage - but as your marriage will not be legally recognised you will not be able to pursue this.I appreciate that this may not have been the answer you had hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Simply to add to the reply given by my colleague you are in fact apply to apply to the court in the UK for a Child Maintenance Order which can then be enforced hereYou do not have to have been married to do this
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years