13262538

My partner(who does not live with me) has been paying alimony

My partner(who does not live with me) has been paying alimony to his ex wife ( a court order until she dies or remarries) and child support for a son (now aged 21) and a daughter(18 this month) for approx 8 years since the divorce.
He knows he does not have to continue with child support indefinitely but is concerned about the alimony.
Does he have to go back to court to try and get this revoked ?
Should he stop paying and see if his ex wife takes action?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.When does the Child maintenance end under the order?Has hi ex's financial position improved since the divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I don't know much detail but I'm assuming the child maintenance should end this year, though he has continued to pay for his son for far longer than necessary because he was trying to redress the fact that he has not added to his ex's alimony according to the court order ie. annual RPI !
No idea of his ex's financial situation ,though she does have a partner ( do not know if he lives with her)
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
If he wishes to stop paying the spouse maintenance then he needs to apply to the court to dismiss the Order.Failure to do so will mean that his ex can apply to enforce the Order - and claim arrears - and have the Order re-adjusted to include the missed uplifts.Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ... I shall pass this information on.
He is hoping not to be saddled with her alimony for many years when both of them have moved on.
I just hope the order can be dismissed!?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
If there has been a change in circumstances then yes it is possible