Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My mum and dad lived in the same flat but lived separate lives

Customer Question

My mum and dad lived in the same flat but lived separate lives completely down to money they didn't get on at all. My mum had told me and my brother her final wishes regarding her funeral and what she wanted to happen with any left over money, 18 months ago she feel out of bed and all her other children suddenly started visiting they had told her at hospital she' d got 2 years left. She has now died, l was down as her next of kin and me and my brother where going to arrange everything to her wishes, but my dad is trying to take over they are going against all her wishes. My brother was named on mums account so it was a joint account in both there names, he also wants control of the money and what happens to it, but that is what mum didn't want him to get his hands on it, unfortunately we didn't get this down in a will or any other legal document. Can he make us hand over the money and does he have any say in her funeral
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Without a will your father may have a claim to administer the estate of your mother, however the money in the joint bank account will automatically become the responsibility and property of your brother. Your father cannot order your brother to hand over control of the money in the joint account. What exactly is he threatening to do? Kind regards AJ