Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am divorcing my wife, but we still live together in my

I am divorcing my wife, but we still live together in my flat with our two infant children 3 and 4 years old. Due to security concerns, recently I have installed CCTV cameras in the living room, my bedroom and my mother's bedroom. Obviously my wife's bedroom where the kids also sleep most of the time is left without due to her objection. Today she treatened me with the police if I don't remove also the other cameras (particularly the one in the living room). Does she has any ground for such demands?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Why is it installed inside the rooms? What security reasons and are they constantly recording?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris, thank you for the response!
The one in the living room is located directly against the hall way and the entrance door, this way covering the maximum entry options. The other 2 are in my and my mother's bedrooms as we have valuables. The security reasons are clear - there has been numerous police visits in the neighbourhood recently. The cameras are set to record on motion detection.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming.As it is in your own home, you are free to install CCTV and other security features. However, as you are going through a divorce and your wife remains at the home, I would exercise caution regarding installing it inside the home due to the contention and animosity this has raised, and is likely to raise going forward. It might be best to compromise and install it on the outside of the home at the front and back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris,Thank you very much, but unfortunately as we live in a flat, it is impossible to mount them outside and this would be obvious for anyone who visits the flat. I suppose it is not offense to provide security for my home and object her for being unreasonable. It is a CCTV at the end of the day - it is for preventing harm, not causing it.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
But the concern that she will have is that she will think you are recording the home to keep an eye on her - and it would be understandable especially if it is in the living room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see the confusion.
Most of the time she is not in -leaving 7:30 am , coming home 7:30pm. When at home - I am also in - so there is no point recording her. She spends at most 2 hours a day in the living room and it is always when I am in, so no point recording her. As I said, I see her thread only as another attempt to provoke and force her will if anything, but removing the cam as a drop in the least security I can provide for my home. I hope that would do.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - if she does call the police I do not think they have basis to do anything as it is not covert recording and it is your home. I am just concerned that this will cause further tension between you.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you