Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I separated with my long-term partner 18 months ago. When we

Customer Question

I separated with my long-term partner 18 months ago. When we broke up she asked me to sign an agreement agreeing to pay her £25,000 for several purchases that she had made and for a loan she made to me. I signed straight away. I have paid back £15,000 over the last year. However as a result of her breaking several verbal contracts we made at the same time, I stopped paying her the agreed monthly payment in October until she corrected the situation. She refused to do so and has acted as if the verbal contract did not exist. She has sought legal advice and is threatening to take me to court. I understand that my actions were stupid, I shouldn't have signed her initial document and I shouldn't have made any verbal agreements however at the time I was in a very bad place and was struggling to do even the most basic things. Is the 'contract' she wrote up binding? Can I use the breach of a verbal contract as grounds to withhold money? I am not actually contesting the money (although a lot is for goods which we purchased and used jointly). I am just struggling to keep up with the payment plan we agreed and need to find a way to avoid going to court, but not kill myself with the repayment schedule I agreed to.
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are/were you married?-What were the verbal agreements you agreed to?-How much do you now owe her?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No we were not married. We were cohabiting. We agreed that I would keep the car for a certain period at which point it would be sold and money divided, she took it before the agreed date and sold it (I didn't see a penny). As a result I was left without a car for a period of time which cause me great expense. She agreed to provide me regular updates on how our dog was doing I stopped receiving these despite repeated requests. She removed all of the furniture we purchased together from the flat, we agreed that several significant items would be returned to me but weren't. I owe her now £9500.
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.
Thanks - are you seeking to be compensated regarding your interests in the furniture and car?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I just want a bit of flexibility in regards ***** ***** payments. I agreed to pay her £300 per month and this is very difficult for me. The cost of sorting out the car and other items cost me my savings so I have no flexibility and nothing to fall back on.
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. What I would suggest is that you put your proposals for your repayments in writing to her and give her the opportunity to accept it.If she took the matter to court and you were unable to afford a lump sum or the payments she is requesting, then the court would request for you to provide a breakdown of your income and outgoings so that a reasonable repayment plan is put in place.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My initial question still hasn't been answered. Is the initial contract we agreed to binding? I was ambushed by her and her sister shortly after our break-up and told to sign.
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.
Yes, the court would agree that the initial contract was binding and you had demonstrated this further by making repayments towards the loan.If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.