13262538

My son was seduced by a woman 16 years ago who was just seeking to have a child and I now

Customer Question

My son was seduced by a woman 16 years ago who was just seeking to have a child and I now have a grandson that I have never met. My son did the honourable thing and has continued to pay maintenance since birth but on an informal basis without the involvement of the CSA. The mother has always been reluctant to allow any form of relationship to develop between father/son and has limited access to 2 visits a year which my son has gone along with. We as grandparents have certainly not featured in access.
Suddenly, coinciding with his 16th birthday, the mother has suggested we all meet almost as a happy family and go out for a meal. Given that my son is now happily married with a young child with another expected, he is inclined to refuse this invite but I am suspicious there may be another motive - financial - behind the invite. I am aware that my son has an obligation to continue maintenance while his son is still in full-time education until 19, but can you see any other issues with th
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.There is not likely to be any financial motive involved - it may well however be related to the fact that at 16 your grandson can no longer be made to abide by his mother's wishes when it comes to contact.It is possible that she is hoping the refusal will cement the idea that his paternal family is simply not interested in himPlease ask if you need further detailsClare