Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can you tell me why my husband's ex-wife would need to

Hi - Can you tell me why my husband's ex-wife would need to have my husband's copy of their decree absolute and divorce settlement papers ? She has had them for a few weeks now and is not remarrying and all 3 of the children are now in their early 20s. Is it possible that she could claim on his estate at all for the time they were married ? They have been divorced 10+ years now. Thank you, Lynn
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Was there a court approved financial settlement?-Has she remarried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a court approved settlement and she has not, as far as we are aware remarried although she does co-habit with a partner.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - if there was a court approved settlement, then there is likely a term that the parties can no longer apply to court in relation to any financial claims, save in relation to possible variation for periodical payments (eg. spousal maintenance) - was there such provision in the order? It could also be that she intends to remarry and she will require the Decree Absolute to do this.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.