13262538

In a case of non-paternity, is the husband still legally responsible

In a case of non-paternity, is the husband still legally responsible for the child born in wedlock albeit that he is not the biological father?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If the husband is not the biological father then he does not have parental responsibility or is legally responsible for the child.If you elaborate on the matter a bit more I can assist you further. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.This is not a straightforward smatter.If a baby is born to a married woman there is a presumption that it is the child for her husband - who can actually register the child as his if he wishes to.If it is not his biological child then a DNA test would be needed to change what is on the birth certificate.If however he is not registered as the father but STILL treats the child as his own then in the vent of a separation he will remain financially responsible and will have to pay child maintenance - and can apply for an order giving him a form of Parental responsibilityClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years