Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife has left the family home She has moved into a rented

My wife has left the family home She has moved into a rented flat saying she no longer wants to be with me we have been married for about 40 years i am 75 years old she is 69 My name are on the deeds as i payed all the mortgage and i payed it off 20 years ago I have some savings invested as i took lump sums from my private pensions and invested it over the years in total about £50'000 I have offered her £40,000 for half the house which i would value at £80 000 selling price in the area we live She has rejected the offer and says she wants more as she has left me how will i stand if we go to court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-What other assets do you both have, including pensions?-What are your respective income positions?-What have you based the value of £80,000 for the home on?-Do you have any dependants or minor children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no dependent the £80 000 is the price of houses that have been sold in our estate in recent sales We are both pensioners And i have a small works pension She has a works pension i do not know how much she gets as we have always kept our finances separate
Thank you for the further information. Given the long marriage, the court will likely focus mainly on both of your needs and the starting point is a 50-50 split of all assets, and for this to be departed from if either your needs, or her needs are greater - which will be unlikely if you both have similar needs. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you