Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife has left the family home She has moved into a rented

My wife has left the family home She has moved into a rented flat saying she no longer wants to be with me we have been married for about 40 years i am 75 years old she is 69 My name are on the deeds as i payed all the mortgage and i payed it off 20 years ago I have some savings invested as i took lump sums from my private pensions and invested it over the years in total about £50'000 I have offered her £40,000 for half the house which i would value at £80 000 selling price in the area we live She has rejected the offer and says she wants more as she has left me how will i stand if we go to court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-What other assets do you both have, including pensions?-What are your respective income positions?-What have you based the value of £80,000 for the home on?-Do you have any dependants or minor children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no dependent the £80 000 is the price of houses that have been sold in our estate in recent sales We are both pensioners And i have a small works pension She has a works pension i do not know how much she gets as we have always kept our finances separate
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the further information. Given the long marriage, the court will likely focus mainly on both of your needs and the starting point is a 50-50 split of all assets, and for this to be departed from if either your needs, or her needs are greater - which will be unlikely if you both have similar needs. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you