Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I lived in the uk years...20 years back. I applied

Customer Question

Hi ...I lived in the uk for 3 years...20 years back. I applied for a refugee status when I landed in the uk. My case was not accepted I was eventually removed back to my home country (15 years ago). Few years later I migrated to another country and became a citizen. My passport does not require a visa to travel to the uk . will my past record affect my entry into the uk ?.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Theepan, if you are now a citizen of an European Economic Area state, then your previous visa history as a refugee applicant will not impact upon you being able to enter and remain in the UK. You will be able to enter the UK and live and work for as long as you wish. However, if you are a passport holder of a non-EEA country, then the UK authorities will have access to your prior history as a refugee applicant and you may be asked a question upon entry as to whether you intend to leave the UK. However, even if you are questioned, you will not be refused entry to the UK merely because you have been a failed refugee applicant on a previous occasion. There has to be some suspicion that you will not leave the UK at the end of your stay there.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.