Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Finally got back into my account had forgotten i had one

finally got back into my account had forgotten i had one with just ask!my question is i cannot trace a decree absolute i have copy of decree nisi this was granted on 9th june 1999. I have read through my paperwork and remember that i was advised to delay the final /absolute until my financial situation was sorted as i had young children at the time .This happened in the september of 2001 outside the usual time limits. i cannot remember or find evidence that my solicitors or myself requested the absolute before they closed my file . i am planning to get remarried on the 29th september 2016 hence the issue has come to light.how do i find out if it has been finalised and how to get copy or if not how do i get it decree absolute?i have my court name and case number.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. As you have the Decree Nisi you will have the details of the court and case number ***** you should write to the court to request a copy of the Decree Absolute, together with a cheque for £10 for the service. If there is no Decree Absolute they will respond informing you so and you will then be able to apply for it. However, if the financial settlement was not approved by the Court you should not remarry until it is approved and finalised.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you the financial side was finalised at the court so i assume there should be no problems i also assume there should be no problem with the timescale
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If it turns out that no Decree Absolute was granted and you apply for it now you must accompany the application with a statement explaining why it has taken this long to apply for Decree Absolute.