ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

11 months ago I asked my husband to leave . I know that

Hi. 11 months ago I asked my husband to leave . I know that I can divorce him in a year and a month as it will be 2 years but have a question regarding possible annulment of the marriage . I had been married before and my surname was Price. My new, married name, was to be Costin-Morris as Costin is my maiden name . My change of name took effect legally from December 2012 however when we got married , the name used in the ceremony was Price. I did ask the registrar if this was ok as we signed after the ceremony. Now I'm wondering if I can use it to void the marriage ?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. I am sorry to say but there are specific grounds for an annulment and the name on your marriage certificate being your previous married name does not make your marriage void or voidable for the purposes of an annulment. I note that you are also considering divorce on the grounds of two years separation. As long as your husband is in agreement to a divorce then you should have no issues. Please do be aware that for a divorce on the basis of two years separation - your husbands consent is required. Your husband could choose to withdraw his consent at any point. If this was to happen then you might consider a petition for divorce on the grounds of your husbands unreasonable behaviour. A petition of this type does not require a time wait - other than you have to have been married for a year. Otherwise you would have to wait until you have been married for 5 years to be able to petition for divorce without your ex's permission being needed. Let me know if I can help you further. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I knew it was unlikely but thought it was worth asking in case I could hurry the process along in any way . He will fight me if I go for unreasonable behaviour and I don't think I could cope with that so I will just have to sit tight for just over another year and do it then,
Thank you again
Glad I could help. I wish you all the best.