Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner is still married but we live together, he still

my partner is still married but we live together, he still pays all the bills for the house his ex lives in (there is no mortgage) he says he has to the law says so but when i was separated I had to pay the bills as living in the home .... does he really need to pay the bills ? he says if he doesn't he wont have any right to the home He married years ago and it was his house when they got married.... they got equity release and then she was out on deeds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 years ago i meant to say (married)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i forgot to stay he moved in with me 10 months ago
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Firstly, no there is no law that says that he automatically has to pay all the bills to his ex-wife. As part of a divorce, they will need to reach a financial settlement which will consider division of assets and if she wished for him to pay spousal maintenance then she would need to apply for it once the divorce petition is issued.If you wish to obtain further information regarding the financial issue please confirm:-Do they have children if so their ages and arrangements-How long have they been separated?-What other assets they both have, including pensions?-Is she in a new relationship and cohabiting?-What are their respective income positions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no divorce started, he is living with me and she is in house so he is paying two lots of bills (half with me but he is living here)
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - are the bills in his name for her property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes still because hes never changed them or told anyone hes moved out he says he has to do this or a judge will say he has no right to the equality in the property I do not believe this to be true as it wasn't when i separated then divorced and in my former marital property.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - but has the property not been transferred to her sole name? You stated that there was an "equity release"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no they are equal owners and before they got equality release (a few years ago and was why her name was put on deeds) the property was in his sole name. they havent even talked about divorce ....... she lives in the marital home with her (not his) 26 year old daughter
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Him not paying her bills will not impact his right to equity from the home - however, given that they have separated and he is in a new relationship he should seriously consider a financial settlement which will allow him to realise his share of the property.In relation to the bills he should inform her formally that he will be closing his accounts and for her to set up her own accounts, as this is no longer his responsibility. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you