Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex husband and I have been divorced and separated

My ex husband and I have been divorced and separated for 16 years he now wants a share of my bed and breakfast business which he passed over to me so that I could support our son. He never paid maintenance for me or our son, can he expect a share now.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Was there a court approved financial settlement as part of the divorce?-Has he remarried?-How old is your son and what are the arrangements for him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there was no court approved financial settlement. Stupid me trusted him. No he lives with someone but not remarried. My son is now 26
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. Legally, as he has not remarried if he wished to seek financial relief from you he can still apply to court for this despite you being divorced. However, whether he will obtain anything is another question as you have been separated for 16 years and he is only raising this now. For your information, if you have not remarried then you would be in the same position and able to pursue an application for financial relief against him too.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you