ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I am in a co-habiting relationship of eighteen years. We have

Customer Question

I am in a co-habiting relationship of eighteen years. We have a nine year old son. We co-own the house. My partner works from home but will not disclose his earnings to me. I am the main carer of our son and have only a very small annuity. What are my rights if I end the relationship?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask: - are you married?- are you joint tenants of the property or tenants in common?- are there any deeds of trust in respect of the property? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not married. We own the property jointly and separately. No deeds of trust as I understand it.
Hello The rules are different for married and unmarried couples. The area of law that deals with property for unmarried couples is the trust of land act. If you are tenants in common - the n you are legal entitled to a share of the equity in a set share - this will often be set out in a deed of trust so you need to check the position. If in fact you are Joint tenants then you are entitled to a 50% share of the equity. In either event you are also entitled to any personal belongings that you have purchased. If there was insufficient equity to meet the housing needs of you and your child, and you were to be the made carer, then you could make an application under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for provision of housing for your child. The court is able to make an order transferring your ex’s share of the property on trust for your child until your child reaches the age of majority – then the share would revert back to your ex. The Child Maintenance Service has Jurisdiction in respect of child maintenance and you should refer to them if your ex wont pay. Let me know if I can help you further. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate my service so that we receive credit for helping you today