Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I put my inheritance down as a deposit family home

Customer Question

I put my inheritance down as a deposit for our family home my ex contributed nothing we have separated now for 8 years and I moved out letting my ex and children live in the house I have not continued paying the Morgage but have paid regular maintenance we are now getting divorced as my ex has a partner living in the house I would like the house sold and profits split 50/50 after joint debts are satisfied. Is this achievable
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?How old are the chidlren?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the house is worth around £220000 and I think that the amount outstanding is around 180000 approximately as she didn't pay the Morgage for a while and there may be arrears.
The children are 9 and 11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I originally put down 15000 deposit from my inheritance from losing both my parents I do not have any savings or assets, I put everything I have into the house
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How far have the divorce proceedings reached?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just waiting for decree to come through
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We both didn't contest and done a diy divorce courts have received all the signed papers
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What income do you your ex and her partner have?Are there any other assets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My income varies between £250-£450 a week as I'm self employed and my partner is on about £19000 a year I don't know the income from my ex and their partner but they both work and my ex has a successful business. We all have cars but no other assets that I'm aware of
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you asked her to either sell the house or buy you out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked for the house to be sold as they are not in a position to buy me out as they just want to give me £15000 for my share
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have they provided you with valuations and a mortgage statement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no a couple have sold in the street recently so that is how I've guessed valuation, I cannot get access to any paperwork for the Morgage,
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is the mortgage in joint names?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Then you are entitled to get copies of the Statements from the Mortgage cOmpany.How much would she need to purchase a cheaper three bedroom property in the same school area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't answer that the property prices vary dramatically, from 100,000 more or less after speaking to them they intend on renting in a different area if they have to move.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate that - but look on Right move in the school area and get an idea of what the cost would be - this is the guide that the Court is likely to use