Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have divorce 10 years ago I never worked to be able to take

I have divorce 10 years ago I never worked to be able to take care of the kids 90 % of the time
I have 2 children now 18 and 16
Divorced was done by lawyers chosen by him very quickly and not in his presence
I moved in with a new partner at the time and we are still together.
The kids live with me and the child support has been use to keep a roof above their heads as well as all the rest except for education . My son is off to university my ex husband is demanding I give the allowance to my son to support himself . I had to use the allowance to pay for morgage as well as bills to run the house and to take care of the kids even if I have a partner that contribute knowing that this is till the end of university as agreed in the divorce . Can my ex husband demand this on the bases that he says the allowance belongs to the kids and not for morgage and the house ? Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Your ex-husband cannot force you to contribute towards your child's university costs unless there is an order specifying this. What allowance are you referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for replying .
I am referring to child support .
He says that because our son is going to University therefor he will not be living with me at all time I have to give my son the child support for living expenses or at least half of it . Child support for one child is £ 800 .
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
As your son is going to university, if there is no court order for you to pay maintenance then you have no legal obligation to do so. It would then be for your son to pursue an application against you for university maintenance if he cannot afford it himself.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you