13262538

Have grandparents any rights to seek visitation and contac

Have grandparents any rights to seek visitation and contact?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
Grandparents have no absolute right of contact with grandchildren unless for some reason the child’s parent on that side of the family has no contact with the child such as if, for example, that parent has died. Courts are of the opinion that children should have a relationship with both maternal and paternal sides of the family in those circumstances. Unfortunately, both parents are alive and in the child’s life, and will simply not allow the grandparents to have contact with the child, there is very little that the grandparents can do.Can I clarify anything for you?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your question In fact it is not about the rights of the Grand Parents it is about the rights of the Child.If your grandson had a close relationship with you and is of an age to have clear memories of you then you can ask the court for permission to apply for contact.The permission will be granted - but there will only be a Contact Order if the Court believes it is best for the child.You can find out more on this websitehttp://www.gransnet.com/legal-and-money/a-guide-for-grandparents-seeking-contact-and-residenceI hope that this is of assistance
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years