Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

We have interfering grandparents ,full the last 10 years we

we have interfering grandparents ,full the last 10 years we have put them up to visit our children and after the last visit insulted my wife,the stepfather isn't married to my wife's mother and my wife asked them to leave which they did and now the stepfather is threatening us with legal action which we cannot believe, as we have been so generous to them over the years.this happened in October and the stepfather has been proven to be very difficult.We have made a compromise for them to visit this summer and stay at a bed and breakfast which would be more practical for us,this they refused which we are not happy about as we have always given up our marital bed.This is making my wife really upset and i have never seen her like this before which is also of course upsetting me.
the question i would like to know is what are our legal rights as we have 3 special needs children and this is also having a detrimental effect on them please could you tell us what the law for us is in this matter many thanks Leo.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question - what legal action are they threatening you with?For your information, grandparents have no automatic legal rights to see their grandchildren. If not agreement can be made between the parents and grandparents, then the grandparents will need to apply for permission to court to apply for a child arrangement order (they need to demonstrate that there has been a significant relationship between them and the children) and then if that is granted they can apply for a child arrangement order. The court will consider what is in the children's best interests when making any order.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you