Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am a single father with an 11 year old daughter.

Hello, I am a single father with an 11 year old daughter. My ex partner (we were not married) and I have a verbal agreement over childcare which means we have her for approx 50% of the time each. I pay a small amount of maintenance also towards school diners, uniform etc.
Relations between us are not great but we do have a manageable relationship regarding our daughter. I wish to take my daughter out of school for 2 days in June but my ex is very against it. I understand the school do not authorise any absence and I may be liable for a fine. What is the legal position regarding me and my ex if we have no formal or legal agreement between us regarding taking her out of school ?
Many thanks- Alan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. In relation to informal child arrangement agreements between parents, these are not legally binding unless there is a court order ratifying the agreement. Therefore if she finds your actions unreasonable and not in your daughter's best interests she will have cause to end the current agreement and you will be in an unfavourable position having to persuade the court or the mother that it was in her best interests to take her out of school on unauthorised leave.To be honest, it may be in your best interest to consider whether it is absolutely necessary as it is always best not to rock the boat.I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you