Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex is off-setting pretty much all my maintenance against

My ex is off-setting pretty much all my maintenance against our mortgage (I live in it with the children)and his life insurance.He is refusing to pay child maintenance on top.
The house is on the market but not selling. Is he allowed to do this?
He will get half of the house when sold.
I can't see why he can do this, as effectively I am paying HIS mortgage.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you in Englamd or Wales?-Is there a formal child maintenance application or a court order in place?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In england. He has refused to sign a consent order( final hearing last july).
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Child maintenance is a legal obligation to be paid directly to the main carer of the children. He is not able to "off-set" it against the mortgage payments. If you have no formal child maintenance application I would suggest you contact the CMS (here:https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance/overview) who will calculate his legal liability and provide you with enforcement options.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.