Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am going through a divorce and was using a lawyer but had

Customer Question

I am going through a divorce and was using a lawyer but had to terminate his services because i could no longer afford his fees, they came to a total of £9066. Now my wife's lawyer is clocking up ridiculous fees £8040 so far and is expecting me to pay half. This divorce is not complicated, there is a house in South Africa - Duly valued at £45,000 net, a house here in the UK - valued at £100,000 net, and a small inheritance from my father £85,000 net who has just passed away. This has been going on since January 2015, the Decre Nisi was signed on 5th January 2016 and just drags on and on. Are these costs and the timeframe normal? How can I get advice on where to turn next?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. You will not be automatically liable for any of your wife's costs unless there are court orders awarding costs against you. If you were the respondent, it is usual for the petitioner to apply for the divorce application costs against the respondent - so if this was made alongside the Decree Nisi against you, then you will only be liable for costs incurred in relation to the divorce application and not any other matters, such as the finances or children matters.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.