13262538

I have a question regarding marriage. I have had a Nikah

Customer Question

Hi I have a question regarding marriage. I have had a Nikah religious ceremony done 15 years ago.i know would like to get married legally.I contactedThe General Register office who have told me as it has such a long time for the religious ceremony .i am actually counted as married according to Uk law but I woud need my Nikah certificate approved by court to verify my marriage.I was also told to seek legal advice.The General Register Office gave me an example of a similar case that took place in Bolton where the couple had their Nikah Certificate approved by a judge in Court.Court case number ***** ***** 2003 .PATEL VS PATEL. I was also told a Judge would have to approve of my Declaration of Marital Status.Section 55 of Family Act 1986.If you would be able to help me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long before any feedback?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.Where did the Nikah take place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dewsbury England
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello anyone there?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Where did it take place and who conducted it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was conducted by an Imam in a Mosque
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was the Mosque licensed for marriages and was Imam authorised to conduct them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was just a nikah.not a legal marriage
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In that case it is unlikely that the court will Declare that it was a Legal MarriageThe leading case law on this is herehttp://www.familylawweek.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed99448Every case is decided on its own facts - but the fact that there was no intention to create a legal marriage - and no Authorised person was present means that your position is very different from the case aboveHowever if you wish to attempt the matter you can make the applictaion using the form herehttp://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0002/0867/D70.pdfPlease ask if you need further details