Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I would like to see my little brother who is 14 and

Hello, I would like to see my little brother who is 14 and living with his Dad. How would I go about this?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you in England or Wales?-How old are you?-What relationship and arrangements to see him have you had so far?-Have you spoken to the dad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in LondonI'm 21My little brother used to come to see us every other weekend. He is 14 yr old. Our relationship with the Dad has always been temperamental.I have only sent him a message saying that we want no further contact
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in your brother's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for permission to proceed (based on your longstanding relationship and past contact arrangements), and if granted then for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedingsIf you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you