Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

My stepmother has just passed away and has a will where all

Customer Question

My stepmother has just passed away and has a will where all passes to my father and at his death all property is sold and divided between my sister and i and our 2 stepsisters.
The house is i my fathers name on the deeds and my stepmother had no part to play in purchase of the house as the married 25 years ago and dad is now 90.
My stepmothers family are now saying that she had joint tenancy of the house. I can find no documentation as such. What does this mean. Quite happy with the will as it stands but it feels like they are trying to put Dads money into trust for them to have later.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiAre you certain that the property is in your father's sole name only? Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES I HAVE CHECKED THE DEEDS AND ONLY HIS NAME ON THERE
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your reply.If the property is definitely in your father's name only then it is highly likely they will have no claim on the property in respect of an ownership interest that your stepmother had period when they refer to a joint tenancyI believe they are mistaken in thinking that they own the property together by both being registered on the land registry title as joint tenants. If this were the case and she where to pass away then if they held as joint tenants her interest would pass automatically to your father regardless of any statement in her will anyway I am sorry but it sounds as if they are either mistaken or are attempting to manipulate the situation without reference to the proper law for their own benefit. Please do remember to rate my answer. Kind regards TomTom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Really helpful
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Please remember to rate my answer though.