Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I signed a consent order to make spousal maintenance payments

I signed a consent order to make spousal maintenance payments to my ex-wife. My circumstances have now changed (baby on the way with my new wife) which will mean I can no longer afford to make these payments at all. If my ex wife does not agree to allow me to stop making these payments what options will I have?
Many thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. You will need to make an application to court to vary the spousal maintenance. Do not stop paying the agreed maintenance as you will be held in contempt and your ex-wife will have enforcement options against you.The procedure follows the same as financial relief proceedings and you will need to submit a new Form A together with a £255 court fee to court and request to "vary" the periodical payments.Initially this should be attempted through mediation - you can find independent mediators here: http://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk You will need to at least attend a mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM) to assess if mediation is suitable before you are able to proceed to court.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you