Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Im 18 and my girlfriend is 16, she is 17 in 6 weeks time, her

im 18 and my girlfriend is 16, she is 17 in 6 weeks time, her father is forcing her to go bulgaria tomorrow for one and a half months against her will, he will not listen to her opinion and doesnt care that she doesnt want to go with him and her step mother, and is telling her that she will do as he says until shes 18 (thats where shes originally from), they have a terrible relationship together, i booked flights for me and her to go to ireland together for a short while because she will be able to stay with my family who will care for her until she comes back to london with me to stay with me, i called childline before and they said she can go with me and leave her father behind, but social services today told her and her father that she cant come with me, who is right? can she come with me to ireland or is she forced to stick by him and go to bulgaria? im an assistant engineer and i earn enough to support us both so she will always be in a safe place with me.
as we are quite desperate and dont want to get into trouble with the law, where do i stand legally?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Legally, as she is 16 years old she can leave home without her parent's consent and she can present to the council who will assist her with housing and financial support - she will not be able to rent or apply for benefits until she is 18. She therefore does not have to travel abroad to Bulgaria and can choose to come to live with you.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you