Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am a UK citizen and my wife is not.If a divorce

I am a UK citizen and my wife is not.If a divorce settlement is made in another country and outside of the UK to divide assets, is that final?Could she later come to the UK and try for half of assets in the UK even if only in my name?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If a divorce and financial relief matter is pursued and concluded in another jurisdiction, the English courts will not accept a financial relief application as the original country has jurisdiction to deal with the matter.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you