13262538

My sister believes I am taking money from my mother. I have

My sister believes I am taking money from my mother. I have used her atm card card to recompense myself for labour and materials with her knowledge and permission. My mother has written to my sister explaining that I had permission and that she is happy with the arrangement. She also asked her to stop making unfounded accusations.Despite this
Is there anything formal my sister can do and if so how can I protect myself?
My sister also tried to trick my mother in to signing a temporary power of attorney in order to gain control of her finances. My mother worked it out and refused to sign. my sister was to only one to appear on the POA , she sent the papers direct to the address of the witness together with a stamped addressed envelope. I live in the same house as my mother and she wanted to avoid me knowing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
To whom is she making these allegations?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To my mother
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has not challenged me directly but I am suspicious that this could be her intention given the debacle over the POA
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. I'm not sure that is my area then so I will opt out for others.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I shall try and assist.Who does your mother wish to appoint as her attorney?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has no intention of appointing an attorney. It is me who is concerned about my sisters action. How is this not clear?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
I understand that but you do also need to consider the future.At the moment your mother is able to protect you as she has mental capacity.If and when that fails then you will be more at risk - and if your mother has not nominated the person she wishes to look after her affairs then you could be at risk if your sister manages to be appointed as her Deputy.As things stand the only other action your sister could take is to involve Social Services - again not a problem at the moment - but potentially a future problemFor your protection clear medical evidence that your mother does have Mental Capacity and that she has made her own plans for her future care is essentialPlease ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I can easily arrange a lasting power of attorney with myself and sister as co signatories. Although this might create deadlock then I am I supposed I am at least protected.
I have lived in Spain for much of my adult life. In Spain anyone can denounce anyone else( albeit with consequences if made out of spite) is there an equivalent in the UK? Basically can my sister try to make trouble for me even if she has unfounded allegations. Likewise, not that I want to but was her action over the temporary poa legal? Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
No there is nothing similar in the Uk - all she can do is report her concerns - which your mother will reject.What she did with the POA was underhand but not illegal
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks very much. Would it be unwise to arrange now a lasting power of attorney with my sister as co signatory? I think it would protect me and my mother and have my sister in clear view. Are there any downsides
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
The only question is whether you can work together!
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years