Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I owe my house jointly with my ex partner. Is it easy to

Hi I owe my house jointly with my ex partner. Is it easy to change my feeds to tenants in common. As he had just received a court summons for 10k
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Changing from joint tenants to tenants in common is a relatively straightforward process and you can see the guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-commonHowever, you should also consider entering into a deed of trust to ensure that if there are any charges registered on the property in relation to his debt that it will only come from his share.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you