13262538

I need some advice about wills unfortunately my wife passed

Hello - i need some advice about wills
unfortunately my wife passed away last year, she was Brasilian and had uk citinzenship. She passed away just after we had moved back to Brasil to start a new life in her home country. i have all the official Brasilian death certificates and she was cremated there.
She did write a will in the uk with a uk solicitor a couple of years before we moved in which she left all her estate to me , however, as is normal, she also stipulated that if i passed away before her then her estate would be divided up between her family members who live in Brasil. ( we had no children). after she passed away i moved back to the uk. Now, at some point last year her Brother ( who lives in Brasil) asked to see the will which i duly sent .. when i was in the process of sending it i realised that i had not informed any authorities here in the uk that she had passed away and got a bit worried that maybe i should have done. with that in my head i sent her brother the will but omitted the last page with the name of the solicitor and witnesses who were present when the will was written and signed. now they are saying that the will is incomplete because of lack of last page and that i must have written it and that basically because they can see a list of their names in the will as benefactors if i passed away before my wife did , that they are entitled to inherit. well my question is this : I would like too send them the complete will including name and address of solicitor who oversaw it but am now worried that i will get in trouble here in the uk for any reason if they get in touch with said solicitor? At the time i thought that as she was a Brazilian Citizen and she passed away in Brazil and all legal documentation pertaining to her passing was processed there and she was cremated there then i wouldnt need too do anything here in the uk? so can i send them the complete will without worrying about any legal comebacks for me in uk? ( our total assets at the time were approx £180000 uk so less than tax threshold) regards
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstWhat assets were held in your late wife's sole name?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Claire , Nothing was in her sole name it was all jointly held , apart from maybe £200 in her private bank account and jewellery which i gave to her Niece in Brazil as directed in a caveat in her will.
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.
In that case you have no cause for concernAll the assets will pass to you automatically outside of the Will in any event.You have done nothing wrong at all and there is no reason not to send them the complete copy of the WillIn any event there is no claim that they can make against you.Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Clare - So when i send them the complete will with solicitor name address etc and they get in touch with that solicitor what will the Solicitor do?
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.
Nothing at all - he will refuse to speak to them as they are not his clients
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thank you very much Clare,
Have a good weekend.