Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I keep getting harassed by a guy delivering documents to

I keep getting harassed by a guy delivering documents to me.. Usually these are divorce papers/statements from my wife. I do not know who this guy is. He says he is a process server, but he does not look very official. In fact the last time I saw him he looked thuggish..How do I know if he is actually an officer of the court. And if he was an officer of the court, why wouldn't the court just mail me the documents.Do I have to speak to this person.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If he is a court bailiff/server then he should provide you with ID. If he is a private process server then they would not necessarily have ID, and does not need any. Their job is to ensure that you have received the documents from your wife as otherwise it would be difficult tonprove if it were sent by mail. You do not need to speak with them but they will be persistent.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well.. He is a process server.. What negative effects will it have on me if I choose not to associate with him. To be honest, he showed up at my office. He looked a dread. I work in a professional environment and it reflects badly on me if this person is persistently showing up asking for me...If I tell him to bugger off.. Could this negatively effect me in court. I am happy to walk down to the court house and pick up any documents I need to pick up, just so I do not have to deal with this person.If the courts are to set a court date.. will they not contact me?thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
The court date is likely in the papers he is trying to serve on you, if there is a hearing.As he has been instructed to serve you, they will attempt to attend any place where you are known to associate but should act appropriately and will continue to do so until you have been served, or if you refuse to meet him, then he is likely to prepare a statement for the court explaining the steps he has taken to serve you and would likely state you are evading service.If you do not wish him to continue attending, maybe ask your wife to provide you the documents directly?