Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband is filing against me behaviour he said he will

My husband is filing for divorce against me for unreasonable behaviour he said he will pay for the divorce but if I contest it i will have to pay the legal fees. If I object will it cost me money or can I make him pay for the whole divorce? Considering he was unreasonable by having affairs.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If you agree that the marriage has ended you should not defend the divorce. In any event, defending a divorce is fruitless the majority of the time and is costly for both parties and increases animosity - the cost and energy would be better used in sorting out any financial or children matters.If you object to it, then he can ask the court to make a costs order against you in relation to the divorce application and this is usually granted in unreasonable behaviour petitions.In the circumstances, if you do not agree with his statement of case, it would be better to state that you do not intend to defend the divorce but reserve the right to file a statement of case in response.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you