Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a court order to pay child maintenance as part of the

I have a court order to pay child maintenance as part of the financial settlement in my divorce case. I have been making monthly prior to the court order since the divorce in 2002, (court order was in 2011), The order was that I was to pay until the age of 17 or until she finished full time education. My daughter left school at the age of 14 and had small amount of home education. There has been an application by my ex-wife via the CSA to pay until she is 20. Please advise?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Was the financial order agreed by consent?-How old is your daughter now, and what studies is she doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was through Barrister in courtMy daughter is 17 (last month), ..I think she is doing online course http://www.oplexcareers.com/ but no formal education since the age of 14....home tutoring after much ado. couple of hours a week until she was of an age of not under social care. But did not return any formal education....
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If there is child maintenance in a consent order for a financial settlement, either party can apply after 12 momths of the order being made to the Child Maintenance Service who take over jurisdiction and their calculation overrides whatever agreement was made regarding child maintenance.After 16, and until the age of 20, child maintenance is payable under CMS rules if she is in approved education or on an approved government training course, you can see the approved list here: https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19 (the page states child benefit, but the same rules regarding education apply to child maintenance).I appreciate that this may not be the answer you had hoped for, but f you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you