Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been separated from my wife years now, she lives in

Hi i have been separated from my wife for 6 years now, she lives in the UK and has done since 2009 once my oldest daughter completed her studies, we were then living in Muscat Oman. we are both uk nationals
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, please would you elaborate on wgat issue you seek assistance with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i Want to know what she would be entitled too since both the kids have left home and i have no assets in the uk or abroad
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
To confirm, is she in England or Wales?Has there been a divorce and have either of you remarried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in County Durham, England. no divorce yet that is what we are currently looking to do
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In terms of financial claims, as part of a divorce you are both entitled to pursue a financial relief claim against the other - this can be for a variety of reasons, such as property transfers, pensions, spousal maintenance, child maintenance and lump sum orders. You state that you do not have any assets, but there may be a claim possible in relation to spousal maintenance if she cannot meet her reasonable needs.If both of you have absolutely no assets, and therefore nothing to claim for, and you are both able to meet your reasonable needs, it would be highly recommended to agree to a clean break - this will end all claims between you both.You should be aware that the divorce does not end the risk of a financial claim between you - this is only ended by the prospective party remarrying before a claim or a court order / clean break order.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you