Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am a divorced man with two children aged 25 and 20 who

I am a divorced man with two children aged 25 and 20 who stay with their mother. My son (aged 25) is established in a career and my daughter (aged 20) will be going to university in September. I have provided financial support to my ex-wife sine our divorce 8 years ago and currently pay £350 a month support primarily for my daughter. My wife has a new partner and living in a very expensive 5 bed roomed house. I have since remarried and living with my wife in a more modest house. My question is 'how long should I continue providing financial support for my daughter?'
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you in England or Wales?-Was there a financial settlement in place alongside the divorce?-Are there any court orders in place regarding the maintenance to your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scotland. The financial settlement was in my wife's favour by getting ownership of the family home. Child maintenance was worked out by CSA which I have paid without question since, despite the CSA saying that my responsibility for payment ceased when my daughter left full time education at 17 years. She has since returned to college and will embark on a Nursing degree in September.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Given that she is 25 years old, your liability for child maintenance has now ended and you longer need to make these payments.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris my daughter is aged 20 and will be 21 in August.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Apologies, but the information remains the same as statutory child maintenance is up to the age of 20 if the child remains in approved education or an training course. Above 20 and up to 24 years old, if she remains in education, you have a commitment to provide maintenance directly to your daughter if she requires it - if you do not reach agreement directly with your daughter, then it would be for to pursue a court application for maintenance.