Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I live in a mortgaged house with my partner and 5yr old

Customer Question

Hi, I live in a mortgaged house with my partner and 5yr old daughter. My partner for some unknown reason has moved out of our bedroom and into the spare. She is making my life very difficult, I have to do my own cooking and washing etc. She is trying to turn our daughter against me, there is namecalling and so on.
I have started looking for somewhere to live so we can just make the break and move on.
If I move out will I still have to pay the mortgage and bills for her and our daughter?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Who actually owns the property, how much is it worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We own it jointly, she put more money in when we bought it although I have spent £10000 of my inheritance on improvements so I am hoping that makes us equal. It is being valued this week but estimated £180k, with £95k outstanding on mortgage.
I earn £35k annually, she works part-time on around £400 per month plus several other childminding jobs paid cash in hand at around £300 per month.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much does a cheaper two bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around £80k to £90k I would think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello??
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay

How much capital did your partner invest in the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around £29k I think it was, it was 10 years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I put in £14k, plus around £18k over the years in improvements
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Did she protect her investment with a Declaration of Trust?